English French German Italian Spanish Welsh
Search Llangollen

Medieval Llangollen (11)

The Corn Mill (Melin Ŷd) on the Dee dates from the 13th century and was built by the Cistercians of Valle Crucis Abbey. Water power…
Owain Glyndŵr c.1349/1359 – 1416 was descended from the princes of Powys and Cyfeiliog, and regarded as the last native Prince of Wales. He owned…
The abbey of Valle Crucis (Abaty Glyn Egwestyl or Abaty Glyn y Groes in Welsh) lies to the north of Llangollen and was founded by…
Llangollen Bridge is one of the ‘Seven Wonders of Wales’ and was built by Bishop John Trevor c. 1345. Widened in the 16th and 20th…
St Collen's church is dedicated to a 7th century monk, Collen, who, legend has it, arrived in Llangollen by coracle. It is possible there was…
The Vale of Llangollen, with its gentle slopes and river Dee has attracted people for centuries. The parish church, St Collen’s, is dedicated to Collen,…
Eliseg's Pillar, originally supporting a stone cross, is prominently sited in the Eglwyseg valley. It was erected in the first half of the 9th century…
Llantysilio is a late medieval church with Georgian and Victorian restorations. The Ladies of Llangollen would often walk here to the English service, which was…
The dissolution of Valle Crucis Abbey in 1537 was a pivotal moment in the development of Llangollen. Until then, the large monastic estates had dominated…
Castell Dinas Brân is a medieval castle located within the earthworks of an earlier Iron Age hillfort and was probably built in the 1260s by…
Offa’s Dyke is a linear earthwork, which more or less follows the Welsh/English boundary. It consists of a ditch and rampart, originally about 27 metres…