English French German Italian Spanish Welsh
Search Llangollen

Industrial Revolution (5)

The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct, begun in 1795 and opened in 1805, was built by the celebrated civil engineers, Thomas Telford and William Jessop, to span the…
The Chain Bridge was built c.1817, across the river Dee from Llantysilio to Berwyn, by Exuperius Pickering, a local entrepreneur dealing in coal, limestone, slate…
Telford spent two years surveying the road from London to Holyhead and began work in 1817. By 1819 the London mail coaches were able to…
Construction of the Llangollen section of the Ellesmere Canal (now part of the Shropshire Union Canal) began in 1793 under the Ellesmere Canal Act and…
A victim of Dr Beeching, who closed many railway lines in Britain in the 1960s, the old main line closed to passenger traffic in 1965…